Did you know that regular stretching is just as important as regular exercise?
Did you know that regular stretching is just as important as regular exercise? If you’re like me… (and I’m a stretch therapist after all) you probably neglect this aspect of your fitness regime, even though stretching has major benefits. Hopefully these reasons will inspire you(and me) to make it part of your schedule!
Here are some of the main benefits of stretching:
For Your Body
- Helps improve flexibility (increases your range of motion)
- Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position (because of so much time at our computers, many of us have tight chest muscles which pulls the shoulders and head forward, leaving us with a hunched shoulder look)
- Potential to decrease injury by preparing muscles for work before activity
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to muscles, thereby possibly reducing muscle soreness
For Your Mind
- Even a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) of stretching can calm the mind, provide a mental break, and give your body a chance to recharge
- Classes like stretch therapy offer you a chance to spend an half hour releasing tension physically and mentally